Posted: 08 16 16
On December 25, 2014, my daughter Arin and husband Brent, gave me a gift that will truly “keep on giving.” It’s a prayer journal. While I don’t write in it every day even though I pray daily, I do frequently write down my pleas and prayers as it helps me to focus on those things that I feel need the most attention. It also helps me to focus on gratitude for all my Father in Heaven has done for my family and I.
I’ve filled up the pages now. Yesterday, I started going back through and rereading the prayers I wrote down this past year and a half. I am astonished, amazed, and awed at the number of answered prayers in my book. It seems miraculous to me how life played out through answered prayer and I also feel extremely humbled that God even listened to me considering I have a long ways to go on my path to becoming the best person I can be.
This prayer journal has brought me into a closer, personal relationship with God. I read back and see how He eased my worries about whether or not I was doing the right thing by leaving a good job to write and I see through the journaling how everything fell into place and in the most miraculous ways. Did I deserve all this? No, but God’s love is there for us all…it took me a long time to realize that you don’t have to be perfect to receive it.
I read prayers for those who were sick and about how he healed people that I and others were praying for and I am thankful. I would say that 90% of my prayers were answered, which only adds to my faith that the other 10% were either answered in a way that I don’t see yet or will be answered in God’s timing.
As we go through the day to day routine of living, we often forget all the blessings we have received in the past. We need to find ways to continually remind ourselves that we have a multitude of reasons to be grateful. I highly recommend a prayer journal as a way to do that. It can seem awkward at first, but the more you write down your thanks, your requests and your praises, the better you feel, because it gives you clarity of mind, increases your faith and adds to the peace in your life. I had no idea of the impact my personal prayer journal would have until I sat down to reread it later, but there are no words to describe how astounded I am to know just how much prayer really works. Amen.